Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Launderette owner apologises over Muslim-only signboard

MUAR - The owner of the controversial "Muslim-only" launderette here has apologised for his actions and will obey Johor Ruler Sultan Ibrahim Sultan Iskandar's decree to remove a signboard limiting its services to those of the faith.

"I regret the issue and I will obey His Majesty's command," said the owner of the launderette in Taman Seri Cempaka, who refused to be named, adding that he immediately took down the sign Wednesday morning following the news published in The Star.

"I was not aware about it at first. I was only informed about Tuanku's comments after my friends alerted me and forwarded me the news article," he said on Wednesday.

Checks by The Star on Wednesday showed that the sign was no longer displayed at the launderette's entrance but remained open for business.

It was reported that Sultan Ibrahim ordered the controversial Muslim-only launderette in Muar to immediately stop its discriminatory practice or risk being shut down by him.

"I cannot accept this nonsense. This is Johor, which belongs to Bangsa Johor and it belongs to all races and faiths. This is a progressive, modern and moderate state.

"This is not a Taliban state and as the Head of Islam in Johor, I find this action to be totally unacceptable as this is extremist in nature," he said.

His Majesty said he also ordered the state Islamic religious affairs committee chairman Abdul Mutalip Abd Rahim, the religious council and the district council to investigate the matter.

Pictures of the launderette went viral last week over a sign at its entrance which said that only Muslims were allowed to use its self-service washing machines.

No comments:

Post a Comment